To complement our outreach and technical assistance services, we also offer GreenPOWER — a job training program that teaches workers to bring energy efficiencies, environmental awareness, waste reduction, and lean production techniques to work in the green economy.
This innovative program trains manufacturing workers for the emerging clean energy economy. Focused on greening manufacturing processes in all industries and upgrading skills for producing clean energy products, GreenPOWER partners directly with employers to provide workers the skills required for good jobs in the clean energy economy.
GreenPOWER's interactive courses mix classroom workshops with interactive simulations and real-life cases studies. This teaching technique ensures participants understand how to apply the program's lessons immediately when they return to work.
Described as "Green 101," GreenPOWER's Green Generalist workshop is a fast paced one-day course that gives participants an understanding of environmentally friendly business practices and how they can help businesses save money.
Green Specialist Series
GreenPOWER will work with businesses to customize our week-long training program to their unique needs. The Green Specialist training series covers:
- Air Pollution- Using innovative methods to improve and reduce air pollution.
- Energy Management- Learning to manage energy usage and invest in energy efficiency.
- Green Chemistry- Applying Green Chemistry principles and techniques to all facets of business.
- H20 Conservation- Demonstrating principles and practices used in the operation and design of water systems.
- Sustainability Planning- Translating a vision into a continuous and sustainable program.
- Waste Management- Examining the importance of considering entire product life cycle and cutting waste by using the leading methods of waste reduction-Refuse, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle.
Graduates of GreenPOWER's Green Specialist program have the opportunity to sit for the Society of Manufacturing Engineers' (SME) Green Manufacturing Specialist certification exam.
GreenPOWER is continually working to develop additional courses in response to requests from businesses and participants. In addition to our core green curriculum developed by Purdue University, we also offer the following:
- LEED Green Associate Exam Prep Training- By earning certification as a Green Associate from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), individuals can show they have have the green skills businesses need as they work to make buildings ever-more efficient and sustainable. Instead of studying for this exame alone, GreenPOWER's four-day LEED Green Associate Exam Prep works helps individuals prepare for the exam. View a flyer here.
- Greening Your Home- This 2-day, six-hour course teaches participants changes they can make at home to save money. View a flyer here.
- Home Energy Audit-This six-hour courses provides instruction, guided expercies and couching through numbers topics of energy conservation. Participants will gain a better understanding of traditional and alternative energy sources, and will never look at their utility bills the same again. View a flyer here.
- Job Search Strategies-This course gives participants an overview of techniques to use while searching for a job and discusses how they can leverage the GreenPOWER experience when interviewing. View a flyer here.
- Land Recycling-This course gives participants an overview of land sustainability an discusses the 3 phases of an ASTM environmental site assessment, EPA brownfields, superfund sites, underground storage tanks, soil remediation and LEED credits.
- OSHA 10 General Industry Outreach Training-This entry-level course teaches and prepares participants to recognize and prevent hazards in construction, manufacturing, healthcare, warehouses, distribution and other settings.
- SME Review-This course reviews the material covered in the Green Specialist courses in order to prepare students for the SME Green Manufacturing Specialist certification exam. With this class, approximately 70 percent of GreenPOWER's students have passed the SME exam.